Our concrete goals and tasks
During the founding meeting of the NEM on September 15, 2006 in Lahnstein, the following goals and tasks of the NEM e. V. decided:
- Legal certainty for European companies in their NEM activity within Germany and the EU, with regard to the regulatory implementation of the corresponding ordinances and laws, as well as the NEM regulation and EU directive - also with regard to dietary products and medical devices.
- Promote prevention through healthy eating.
- Development of a new status of BIO-NEM.
- Enforcement of consumer interests with regard to nutritional questions = freedom to fully transfer knowledge in the health sector and also to translate into corresponding health products and alternatives to the health claim regulation. This also in the interest of public health.
- Enforcement of health claims; insofar as scientific evidence is available, they should and can also be used.
- Enforcement of approval procedures of NEM, following the example of Austria, for the Federal Republic of Germany and the entire EU.
- Abolition of the Novel Food Regulation, which prohibits us from eating what we want.
- Abolition of Abmahnvereinen. Consumer protection should be in the hands of an institute staffed on equal terms by entrepreneurs, science and consumers (parties are excluded). An alternative would be too
(a) a reduction of the fees for the warnings and
b) drastic reduction of "penalties in case of recurrence".
- Public relations by the online journal Nutrition-Press. PR work, especially in social networks and other media.
- Examination and exhibition of traffic skills, food law / expert opinion also for internationally oriented entrepreneurs.
- Expertise food law / expert opinion.
- Quality appraisals and certification of products with quality logos.
- Formation of working groups (Versus Abmahnverein, NEM, medical devices, diet products, etc.).
- Creation of international subsidiaries.
- Competition law advice.
- Advice on technical, food law and dietary questions.
- Monthly information to all members.
- Memberships of other associations - only for associations with nutritional or tax purposes.
- Protection of the middle class and small businesses. Large companies are only admitted if they are family businesses and expressly submit to the goals of the middle class. This must be ensured by the association.
- Legal protection against official and legal arbitrariness.
- Networks of nutrition science for medium-sized corporate policy.
- Archiving nutrition science basic research available to the members.
- Activation of a new entrepreneurial culture of the middle class in Germany and Europe, Statement by Manfred Scheffler from 12.11.2006.
- Seminars in marketing and sales.
- Proposals and demands to abolish administrative overregulation through our popular popular newsletter, nutritional, legal and marketing.
- Information on international technical questions (registrations and documentation abroad).
- Consultation on international technical issues (registrations and documentation abroad).
- Offer legal protection for members.
How exactly do we achieve these goals?
We speak with MPs, ministries, processes in heath claims (50% positive result) and much more. At the moment measures are being taken against patents on food and against the Novel Food Regulation, which prohibits us from eating certain foods.
In dialogue with politics and the public, we rely on:
- open and transparent communication,
- Continuous educational work based on verifiable, scientifically sound facts and a permanent willingness to engage in dialogue.
In this way, we ensure that the arguments of the nutritional supplement industry are heard when it comes to designing fair, future-proof conditions for dietary supplements and consumers - so that we eat healthy and benefit from safe concentrated foods.
Based on our core competences of food law and food science, we bundle and represent the interests of medium-sized companies in the fields of dietetic foods, dietary supplements, foods for special medical purposes, medical devices, functional foods as well as corresponding raw materials and active cosmetics for all overarching issues. We are the first point of contact for our members when it comes to food and cosmetics law and a reliable declarant and interlocutor for all nutritional and legal contexts.
Press and public relations
Consistent public relations work is also one of the focal points of the association's work. The NEM Association provides all the information about the multifaceted field of food and cosmetic law, as well as specialist studies on high quality nutritional supplements and cosmetics to the members.
Of central importance in this context is the competent discussion, with the sectors discriminatory or even defamatory statements (eg questionable media reports on allegedly harmful ingredients, etc.). Here, with the help of recognized experts from research, science and law, well-founded and comprehensive arguments for the affected member companies (as well as the respective trading partners) are developed.